POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 02:41:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Nov 2003 11:07:46
Message: <3fa7ced2$1@news.povray.org>

message de news:3fa681ab$1@news.povray.org...

> On my 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 Windows XP service pack 1 workstation with 1 GB
RAM
> and no other applications running, it only took 7 minutes and 19 seconds
for
> the parse error to occur while processing frame 465.

Confirmed on my PIII, NT4. Actually I just ran it at 160*120 with no file
output.
With 50 frames, the peak memory used reported by POV-Ray for the first frame
was 3165096 bytes and 154489167 for the last one = 50 x 3 Mb... It just
doesn't release the memory used when loading the image. I've tried with TGA,
JPG and PNG.

I suspect that the culprit is the image_pattern statement (or
pigment_pattern{image_map{}} as it happens with this too). It doesn't happen
with a regular image_map{}.
This explains both why I couldn't replicate it at first (I had tested the
problem only with image_map) and why I had similar trouble with large maps,
since I'm using image_pattern a lot.

G.